Monday, March 25, 2013

snow in phoenix

That is right.  I couldn't believe it either.  I can vaguely remember seeing snow in Phoenix twice when I was growing up.  You could see it floating in the air, but it disappeared the second it hit the ground.  Back in February, I don't even think I quite believed it was happening.  It was too weird.  It started as what seemed like a hail storm (not common, but not unheard of either).   I took the boys out to see it and they weren't really hard little balls of ice like I am used to.  
The more we looked at it, the more I realized that this seemed more like snow.  We could pick it up and put it into a snowball, which I am pretty sure you can't do with hail.   Sure it was wet and melted within an hour, but it was snow and I will take it.
The boys were both sick with fevers that day so I didn't let them go play, but they didn't mind too much.  They got to throw some snowballs.  
I couldn't believe how much it built up. Most of my neighbor's yards looked more impressive that ours since we have such lush (aka: overgrown) winter grass and most of them let their grass die in the winter. Our backyard looksed pretty decent though.
I had to go across the street to take a picture of our house since I figured I would probably never see it look that way again
(FYI, our roof is actually very dark grey).
Cars driving down the street were looking at me and saying, "What happened?!"  One lady told me that she just drove about 10 blocks away and they had nothing on the ground there.  My sister didn't get any at her house either. We were in a weird little pocket that got this weather along with a few places in Scottsdale and Paradise Valley.  It may be silly to those who live where this happens for months at a time, but one of the novelties of living in Phoenix, is that you actually appreciate weather that isn't just sunshine.  Don't get me wrong, I love our sunny skies, but a change is always fun.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I learned a new word for our particular kind of snow pellets: graupel. More info on our freak weather incident here:
    http://www.azfamily.com/news/Was-that-snow-in-Phoenix-192183731.html

    ReplyDelete